AmigaActive (1062/1728)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 19:51:58
Subject:Re: What's going on?

Gareth Griffiths said,

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk

>> available, and it shows. The only good thing about the mail server and
>> translucent proxy is that they are slightly more reliable than the news
>> server :-O

> Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what actually is a translucent proxy?

A badly implemented transparent proxy :)

A transparent proxy server is where the ISP intercepts all access to
port 80, the HTTP port, and redirects them through its proxy server. It
doesn't matter that you have your browser configured to not use a proxy,
you get it anyway. The only way to avoid it is to set your browser to
use a different proxy on a different port, which can be like jumping
from the frying pan to the fire.

A transparent proxy is a good idea in theory, at least for the ISP. It
reduces their need for external bandwidth as many people are loading
pages form a local server instead. External bandwidth is expensive,
which is why the cheaper ISPs are the ones that use transparent proxies.

If you use a normal proxy server and you have a problem loading the
page, you can disable the proxy and try again. Nine times out of ten
this fixes the problem, but if you use an ISP like BTI or Freeserve
you're stuffed.

I had a backup dialup account with BTI for some time, because their
network had nothing in common with U-NET's so no single failure anywhere
could deny me access. I can honestly say that their proxy server is the
worst I have ever come across, all credit for Sir clive for selling it
to them :)

> Always wondered about that. Hehehe. And how does it affect an ADSL service?

The same way it affects any ISP service, but more noticeable because of
the higher speed. An ADSL service is similar to a normal dialup service
in many ways, except you connect at 567000, pay no call charges and have
no timeouts. The extra speed and capacity magnify the differences
between good and bad ISPs, and the contract means you have to live with
those differences for a year should you choose badly.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine

My friends went to alt.california, and all they brought
me was this lousy sig.