AmigaActive (1039/1728)

From:Matt Sealey
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 17:21:37
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

Hello Alan

On 21-Jun-01, you wrote:

>> the source? Do you get a say in it's development? Who writes it? Who
>> maintains it? Who did Microcode solutions have to constantly complain
>> to about bugs in WarpUP?
>
> ..and things got fixed. whenever Ralph was contacted about bugs/problems
> with PowerUP there was no such joy..infact the replies were almost as if
> he resented PowerUP (and the work involved in it!)

Wouldn't you if someone effectively sidelined your work with a dirty tricks
marketing campaign, by reverse engineering hardware (badly) and then
spreading disinformation such that any bugs you DID fix would be totally
unappreciated by the people that would benefit from them?

Did you hear about how Microcode Solutions asked to have MorphOS
altered to make porting iFusion easier?

>> How open is a 3rd party PPC kernel like H&P's "ExecPPC"? How more open
>> is that than a 3rd party PPC kernel like Quark/MorphOS?
>
> as H&P are doing it for Amiga via a partnership its not 3rd party
> ..how well documented it'll be is another matter, whether we'll get back
> to the old days of the Rom kernel manuals is another thing.

If Amiga were partnered with MorphOS, where would the 3rd party
be there? I don't think your "3rd party" argument stands up, especially
if you believe H&P in that they HAD a PPC Exec, 68k emulator, and all
kinds of special treats BEFORE Amiga announced OS4.0.

The "partnership" is no more than a leveraging of existing technology,
but IMO existing technology that's proven in the field (you ran MorphOS
like you said..) is better technology than stuff that's been hidden inside
a company for the past 4 years.

Thanks

Matt Sealey <matt@kittycat.co.uk>
Website http://www.kittycat.co.uk