AmigaActive (1027/1728)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 12:38:04
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

Matt Sealey said,

> Hello Neil

>>> As for a MODERN TCP/IP stack, what did you think AmiTCP/IP was?
>>
>> AmiTCP was a modern TCP stack, five or six years ago. With no
>> firewalling, no NAT and no DHCP it's totally unsuited to a "home server"
>> application.

> It's based on BSD - adding firewalling, NAT and DHCP means it'll be on
> par with Miami which is also based on BSD. And what do we expect
> Olaf's stack to be based on? BSD.

Being based on the same thing doesn't make them comparable.

> There is no "not modern" about it apart from featureset.

There is no "not fast" about a Skoda apart from the lack of speed.
It is exactly the lack of essential features that make it unsuitable for
modern use. Of course these features coulld be added, but they aren't
there now, so the current AmiTCP could not be considered modern.

> AmiTCP/IP is being ported to PPC for MorphOS - it's almost done. Bugs
> are being fixed, features - if someone direly wanted them - could well
> be added since they ARE just a matter of brining BSD source over to
> the Amiga.

But they aren't being added. This is what makes AmiTCP unsuitable for
pseudo-broadband use like ADSL and cablemodem. It also makes it
unsuitable for the home server application that Amiga talk about.

It could be made suitable, but it isn't currently. MiamiDx has most of
the features needed, but the lack of any further development means we
are unlikely to see things like PPPoA, needed for UK ADSL. As AmiTCP is
being developed, it could conceivably become more useful than MiamiDx,
and will run on the AmigaONE as a 68K program.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine

Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism.