AmigaActive (1017/1728)

From:Alan Buxey
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 10:18:13
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

hi,

> Consider that: if MorphOS was the AmigaOS 4.x kernel, you wouldn't
> need ANYTHING from Haage & Partner. They're out of the picture, but
> Amiga decided they wanted to keep them (after some *ahem* persuasion
> from H&P)

ummmm, kernel != OS

you'd still have to improve and addon to what we already have...you'd
still want proper media streaming, streaming datatypes, proper
multiprinting support, built in MODERN TCP/IP stack (with firewalling,
DHCP, proxy etc), better preferences, RTG/RTA/RTIO etc

> And why WOULD there be a battle between kernel matters, devenv
> or RTG issues? Because for MorphOS, they're complete already. How
> can you argue a finished product?

MorphOS is very much beta still. Ralph and FRank do not want it (as it
currently is) to be described as a finished product (which it certainly
isnt) - which is why you still cant buy it.

> (it should be noted that the Picasso96 authors are only doing work
> because VisionFactory aren't. The use of MorphOS/CGX 5 precludes
> them from ever getting near the AmigaOS, they can only have been
> a "second option" of sorts)

..and whats good about that?

closing down the OS to 3rd party implementations is a BAD THING(tm).

at least with the OS as it currently is, ANYONE can write an RTG system.

alan