AmigaActive (1015/1728)

From:Alan Buxey
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 10:08:48
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

hi,

> To put it bluntly: why did Fleecy choose to get H&P to code most of the
> AmigaOS 4.x kernel when there was a perfectly good AmigaOS PPC
> kernel already running? Why did Fleecy choose to get Picasso96 people
> to create a new PPC graphics subsystem when there was already a
> PPC-native graphics.library and RTG system available? Why is Fleecy
> choosing to get Olaf Barthel to write a whole new TCP/IP stack when
> AmiTCP 4.x is already most of the way ported to PPC and all it'd take
> is a little resolving with the original author over the OS3.9/Genesis
> fiasco?

executive/management decisions often work like this...choices are made and
a lot of the people (who can see the better light) get left confused.

I believe that either Amiga made approaches and were not answered
professionally, or that the proposals/demonstrations/talks with other
solution providers just didnt wash.....after all, when you talk with H&P
they do act/behave/discuss in a very professional manner.

> Consider that if we'd have stayed with PowerUP, MorphOS or something like
> it would have been with us as the phase5 G4 cards arrived (not long after
> OS3.5)

no, Phase5 sales were little affected by the PUP/WUP war - after all,
which ever solution you chose did not affect the actual hardware you
bought! Sales were hit by Amiga, at the time, saying we'd all be running
Alpha CPUs in the new Amiga. Sales plummetted. THEN the BVision got to
market very very late....and the new G4's from Apple were slashed in
price. At that point Phase5 were in trouble...noone wanted their Mac
accelerators and they didnt get enough cash-flow from Amiga purchases.

> I'd still like to have someone point out what is so good about WarpUP
> compared to PowerUP, apart from the undying support of Hyperion and
> a few Aminet applications..

ah! you dont use it, so you dont know. I've found WarpUP to not only have
more stability but it does have more apps AND the binaries auto-run. ie
you dont need hacks to the exec kernel to get WarpUP stuff to run. The
programs also tend to be smaller (in physical size and memory usage).

other than that, i dont CARE whether a program is WarpUP or PowerUP, I can
run BOTH systems - at the same time! - so I dont class myself as a zealous
advocate of either (I just prefer WarpUP as its had, so far, more mileage)

it seems that almost all PowerUP stuff is now only developed as MorphOS
(guess its very simple to recompile over) and this I do mind as MorphOS
and AmigaOS CANNOT run at the same time....so i have to run MorphOS..which
kills my 060 (and a 240MHz 603e does not run 68k apps under emulation as
fast as the 50MHz 060...not by a very very long shot)

alan