AmigaActive (1010/1728)

From:Barbara Giller
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 06:42:30
Subject:Re: More than 4GB problem!

Hello Robert

On 21-Jun-01, you wrote:

> Hmmm... I don't have a Powerflyer, but I have EIDE99 and a standard
> 4-way splitter. Works no problem under OS 3.5. I'd say, get a
> PowerFlyer if you're after the extra speed (and it is assuredly much
> faster), but don't get it if you just want to solve the problem;
> EIDE99 and OS3.5 or 3.9 will do the trick.

Exrtra speed would be nice, but it is far more important to me to be
able to work without having to worry about losing data...

Liz:
I have those large partitions because I don't want my WB covered with
HD-Icons (if I had 2GB-Partitions there would be 20 of them!)

The thing with Quickformat: I read in the magazine Clubbed about
setting up harddrives, and it says (in Issue 6):"Unless you have OS3.5
you must format partitions above 4GB using the QUICK option" - this I
understood as to quickformat all partitions behind the 4GB-Barrier -
was I wrong? I had two partitions normally formatted but they were the
first ones to turn into NDOS - the quickformatted ones didn't.

The IDEFix97-Software patches the ROM (as I thought OS3.5 did as well),
a cold boot means Amiga starts booting, patches the ROM and boots
again.

Still don't know what to do - if I buy a PowerFlyer where do I store
all my data? PowerFlywer would mean having to format the whole HD
again.. But is the ROM-Patch-solution a good and clean one?

Regards,
Barbara